Wise as Serpents Harmless as Doves –Online Dating


Jesus told his 12 disciples, “Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.” Matthew 10:16-American Standard Version

While I believe every Christian should practice being “wise as serpents, and harmless as doves,” I want to apply this specifically to online dating. 

I don’t speak against Christian online dating sites because I never tried it when I was single. I have heard of success stories like Sheryl Taylor, featured on this blog!  Unfortunately, I have heard of tragic and unsuccessful stories, too.

Although not by online dating, I have been scammed, too. I encourage Christian women not to be overly confident that they will never be tricked by a con artist.  Many con artists have been practicing their tricky or deception for years and years.

In doing research on online dating scams, I applaud one “Christian” site, which plainly tells its audience:
We DO NOT PROVIDE BACKGROUND CHECK on any of the members. Members need to do run their own search to check a background of a member they are interested in.

Below are 2 links to articles that offer practical tips about safeguarding yourself while online dating:



What are your thoughts about Christian online dating? Share your thoughts here or post it on Marrying Over 40 Facebook's page

2 comments:

  1. This is very sad isn't it.
    I met Ray on-line, BUT, I was very careful.
    I asked for his home phone number and got it... I could phone at any time, knowing it was an American home phone and that no one else was there, (Yes, be careful of married men pretending to be single.) Next I got onto a cam camera, and asked him to do the same. He obliged and I noted his open body language. The moment a person begins to make excuses, you know something is not right. If they only give a cell phone, then smell a rat!! you are probably getting coned by one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal Mary, I am so glad you commented. I was actually waiting for you to share your story :) Thanks for telling your success story and the online dating precautions you took when you met Ray.

    ReplyDelete