The Fever

Goggle Image

My then-best male friend who is now my husband said to me, “Never look for a car, when you’ve got the fever.”  Of course, I had no idea what he meant. He explained, “Never go car shopping when your emotions are running high to buy a certain car.”  Now his fever statement made sense to me. I know it’s true that you should never go grocery shopping when you are hungry. I have done this and have ended up buying a lot of snacks that looked good, but weren’t good for me.

A Christian single woman who is getting close to 40 or is older is especially vulnerable to developing “marrying fever.” Honestly, I think I developed the fever when I was getting close to age 30.  Since I missed my “getting married to Mr. Super Christian by age 27” deadline, I was anxious to find my guy. 

I dated pursuers who I might not have dated few years earlier. These guys had the personality, the career and all the other status symbols, but they didn’t have what I wanted them to have most: a strong relationship with God. One guy was a regular church-goer, but even he could see that his faith convictions were only on the surface.

While walking in my high emotional state of “want to get married fever,” I believe the Father was saddened. I was seeking marriage more than I was seeking a deeper bond with Him. I believe He was saying to my aching to get married state:
Yet I have this against you--that you no longer love Me as you did at first. Revelation 2:4 (Weymouth New Testament Translation)

Take a minute to examine yourself. Is God saying this to you?

2 comments:

  1. This is so me now...all I think about is getting married. I will be 41 in June ..I think getting older is a factor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, you know I’ve been where you are. One action step is to DO something that you enjoy when you find yourself thinking excessively about marriage. If you don’t have a hobby, then get one or revive an old one. Let’s still in contact inseasonmom (at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete