Wedding Anniversary!

Recently, my husband and I celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary. I got married for the first time at age 40 to Larry, my best male friend of ten plus years. (I did break off two marriage proposals to others before finally getting married. I can certainly relate to the confusion a single woman feels in deciding if “he” is God’s man for her. I’ll give you tips on deciding in another blog.) Anyway, my husband, then best male friend, called me at 3 a.m. in the morning to confess his love for me. I was sleeping. I thought something terrible had happened. Little did I know that this call would change my life forever!


The story of our marriage has all the drama and comedy that makes a great made-for-television movie. We got married on the lovely island of Jamaica.

If I were going to give a Christian single woman advice about getting married, I would say:

1) Marry a man who loves God more than he loves you. He’ll do right by you because he wants to be pleasing to God.

2) Marry someone who appreciates your inner beauty as much as he appreciates your physical beauty. Sickness, accidents or aging will change your “physical” beauty but the mental connection will last a lifetime.

What advice would you share with a Christian single woman (or man) about getting married?

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your anniversary. God has ordained your marriage and you will enjoy all the blessings that comes with it.
    One thing I've always told my single friends is to marry a person who fears God. The fear of God will help both couple during ups and downs of married life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nekky, thanks for the congrats. I definitely agree with your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am new here. Congrats! I just wonder what you would say to a woman who is Christian with not a one prospect. Most Christian men I have befriended ended up not committing. It is like they are scared to. Then the ones who aren't Christian want to get to know me. What am I to do? Praying for decades hasn't worked. I haven't been on a date since I got saved. Part of me wonders if it is worth it to wait for a man who loves God. They all seem afraid to be husbands. I give up...

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, forgive me for taking so long to respond. I honestly didn't see your comment. Thanks for the congrats and don't give up. You asked a great question and I want to answer it in detail in my next post. Until then, be encouraged and do not give up!

    ReplyDelete