My Personal Testimony

The church was beautifully decorated and crowded. I don’t remember how the wedding party looked but I do remember the bride. Her dress was lovely. She was radiant and in her 40s.

I don’t remember what I wore, but I do remember I was at loss for words. How would I feel if I had to wait another twenty years to marry my Prince Charming-my Mr. Super Christian? I was only in my 20s.

As I looked at the beautiful middle-age bride, the thought of being an old bride scared me. Looking back twenty years later, my fear was probably the reason I accepted and (thank God) broke-off two proposals prior to marrying my best male friend of 10+ years. The beautiful middle-age bride didn’t fit in with my plans. I was always an awesome planner.

Like all smart, active and naïve teenagers by the time I graduated from high school at age 17 I had my life planned. I would graduate from college at age 22, work in an exciting career in Communications and get married at age 23. I would have my first and second child by age 27. My plan was so perfect there was no room for error!

Fast forward to age 23, I had graduated from college a year earlier with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communications. My exciting career was no where in sight because the country was in the middle of a nasty Recession. I was about as interested in getting married as I was in living in the Saharan Desert.

Fast forward to age 39, I had broken off two engagements for marriage, realizing I needed a man that offered more than good looks, good job and good food. I needed a man who shared my spiritual beliefs. On the plus side, I had held several exciting jobs in Communications and dated interesting guys. God had taken me through several spiritual and mental growth stages.

Fast forward to 1999 the brink of the millennium, three o’clock in the morning---Larry, my best male friend of 10-plus years called me to confess his love for me. And girlfriend, just like in the movies--- with all the drama--- our friendship survived and our love grew. I got married for the first time at age 40 to Larry on the beautiful island of Jamaica.

Just think about it, years and years later after my perfect plan to get married and have both of my children, I was getting married for the first time at age 40. You can learn how I was blessed to give birth at age 42 to a healthy baby girl and at age 44 to another healthy girl by visiting http://www.inseasonmom.org/.

Nine years after getting married for the first-time at age 40, God has reminded me what I learned in childhood. Having been raised on a farm, I’ve seen first-hand that when you plant seeds for a crop not all of them will produce at the same time. Each will operate in its own season.

The exact is true with our lives. Each woman operates in her own given season. You may have wanted to get married in your twenties or early thirties but did not. You were forced to learn the gift of waiting.

For those of us who believe in Divine intervention, we believe personal, mental or spiritual growth can come out of every circumstance…even in waiting. Be encouraged my sisters! To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven-Ecclesiastes 3:1.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you touched on. During a young age, I had planned to be married by the age of 27 to a wonderful lady. By the age of 29, I thought I would have had at least one child and playing the part of a devoted father. Today, I am still single and fatherless. My season have definitely not arrive yet, but good things come to those who wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments and yes, good things do come to those who wait on the Lord!

    ReplyDelete